What does Jailbreaking my device mean?
Wikipedia defines Jailbreaking as the following: "Jailbreaking is a process that allows iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch users to run third-party unsigned code on their devices by unlocking the operating system and allowing the user root access. Once jailbroken, iPhone users are able to download many extensions and themes previously unavailable through the App Store via unofficial installers such as Cydia. A jailbroken iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch is still able to use the App Store and iTunes."
Is it Legal?
On July 25, 2010, the Library of Congress ruled that jailbreaking was explicitly exempted from provisions of the Digital Milennium Copyright Act.
How is it possible to Jailbreak my iPad 3.2.1, iPhone 4.0 (and prior devices)?
On August 1, 2010, Comex and company have delivered the long-awaited jailbreak to the fourth rendition of iPhone. According to their new page JailbreakMe, the hack works right on the iPhone 4 (or 3GS, or 3G, or iPad, or...) itself, using via the handset's Safari browser to reportedly break into most any iOS device.
How exactly is it done? Is there any risk?
Doing the Jailbreak could void your warranty, but you can safely restore the jailbreak before requesting any warranty work. I know many of you are cautious and unsure aDs to what will happen on your device. It really is a simple process, but I have create this Apple iPad Jailbreakme.com walkthrough so you can see what happens step by step. While Jailbreaking is simple and usually are some issues to deal with. Backing up allows you to restore your device.
Now that the device is backed up to the desktop, let us proceed.
1. Launch your Safari browser on your device.
2. Type and browse to the following URL: http://www.jailbreakme.com
3. Simply follow the prompts. Locate the slider at the bottom and slide it to the right.
4. Wait while the file is downloaded. If you experience any of the problem shown below in the troubleshooting section, simply follow the prompt.
5. Once the file is completely downloaded, the Jailbreaking will start.
6. Once it is complete, you will see the following.
7. Remember you are still in the Safari browser. This blank screen means you are done. Hit the home button to return to application launch screens.
8. Look for the Cydia icon to verify the Jailbreak is complete.
Update: Early reports indicate some issues with broken FaceTime, mms, wireless data..
If you see any of the following message, do not be alarmed. Simply follow the instructions provided.
I hope you enjoy your new iPad\iPhone. Not sure where to get started with your newly Jailbroken iPad? Read the posts below!
Why you Might Want to Jailbreak your iPad Immediately
How-to Revised: Install Flash on your jailbroken iPad (for real)
iPad OS 3.2.1 fix some things, but kills Spirit Jailbreak
Jailbreak Released for iPad 3.2.1, iPhone 4 and other iOS Devices